Friday, February 15, 2008

may i have your attention --- "!!*?*!!"

I dont know whats with this thing to seek attention before one would begin a conversation with someone. Well ok, in a gathering it might be required, when you ant to speak to them all, you obviously would require their attention before you begin your talk.. but how bout it, when its a one to one conversation? hmm , well.. may be its ok ( not necessarily required though). you could just start talking to the other person cant u? hmmm, ya if you see him/her engaged ( to the extent that it seems they are actually engrossed and not just engaged) in somehting, then you really need to do something to grab attention before you have your word.

hmm now a nice one-- how exactly do u seek attention?
1. An excuse me .... is too formal i guess
2. Hello? hmm ya would be fine, but not when the talk is too frequent.. u cant actually keep saying hello to the same person again n again ( ina span of say 2 hours, n u talk to them at.. intervals of say.. half n hr or 45 minz?)
3. A pat on the table with a pen ( or just ur finger, but hey! loud enough to have n impact han :D)?? ( :D this onez very practical, and my team mate always uses it wid me :D:D coz my headfones r always on, n he actually needs to do that to get my attention :D) so its a tried n tested idea, but ensure that its used in a similar situation, else its the most stupid way to do it !
4. Ok this onez the ultimate one! n to me, its the most annoying one too !, i dont even know what to call it, its like apna gala saaf karre koi before they sing ( umm i dont know if i've conveyed the message rite) u know that sound they make just before they reach you or look at you or turn towards you... its like n indicator ki, hey m here, look at me or lisn to me!.. i dunno it somehow is soo soo wierd n silly, but so very widely used.
5. hmm what i;d prefer? Just say the name, u have the person;s attention all for you. simple nai? but i hardly see it bein used ( i know you wudnt agree) but js look around, m sure u;ll hear more of 'hey!' or hello ( no not as a way of greeting, wo to chalta wn u see sm1 the first time or not very occasionally int he day) or 'ehm ehmms' or mediators beechme tellin you ( or somtimes just pointing at the other person who requires ur attention!! )

hmmm khair.. this js cliked to me wn i heard the same 'ehm ehm' (which my team mate uses js before he has smthin to tell me) n i turned to him but realised that he dint actually want my attention that time... :)

2 comments:

Anilz said...

Calling by their name is my preferred choice ... Tapping pen wud be arrogance n only PM are allowed to do it :P ... Hmm i think 'excuse me' shud wrk as well at a work place ... Regardless of how friendly u r u wud want to maintain tht professionalism ... blaaaa ... Hmmm anyways gud observation ... I cant believe this. Suddenly u strtd writing smething which makes sense :P :P ... Hmm feels gud ... I guess i commented here last in 1947 ...

TaSnEeM said...

you gotta b kidding anil, u mean to say u actually started understanding wt i write? :P:P
gud goin paaji,
der aaye durust aaye (translates to smthin like... got it late but you got it rite :P)